Our first stop was to see my Dad's parents in Leamington. It was Grandma's birthday so it was extra special to see her on that day. She had made us a delicious lunch, and enjoyed holding Belle. Peppi (the dog) was so interested in her and a bit jealous when Grandma was holding her instead of him!
On to Toronto where we visited several friends while staying with Eugene and Nancy in their newly purchased and renovated home. Jackie and Natasha delighted us with their antics and energy. This is where Isabelle began waking in the night again. In fact there were several nights where all three girls awakened, sometimes to join in a chorus of wailing! Here's a picture of Karen and I with our girls (3 weeks apart). Just in case you are wondering, we're holding each other's babies, not our own!!
Ben got sick while we were in Toronto, so we limped along on our drive to Ottawa. We made a surprise stop in Kingston so Ben could rest and Isabelle could eat. On to Ottawa to see Ben's parents and Alison and Shawn. We went to church, had a great walk on the canal, enjoyed good conversation with Ali, and visited MEC! I got a new fleece and fall/spring coat which I love. Then we were back in Kingston for a week. While there Grandma and Grandpa were in Ottawa with Peppi having back surgery. He did great and is now healing well! In Kingston we had a great shopping trip with Ben and Jo where I bought my first pants since Isabelle's birth. I also had quite a few Honey Cruellers at Tim Horton's, and a Teen Burger at A&W (my most missed Canadian foods).
Ben and I had our first date alone in Kingston at Copper Penny for lunch. It's a place that we first went to in Grade 9, and went to frequently throughout our dating and newlywed days. It was so good to connect and just find out how we were really doing, without talking about the baby, the house, the job, etc. My mom babysat for us.
We saw Jason and Ginette and the girls for a night on the way home, and then saw Jody and Ashley as our last stop on Sunday. We got home at 11:30pm and then Isabelle woke at 1:30, 4:00 and 6:00!!!!

Jody and Isabelle (wearing her new hockey jersey from friend Justice)
Lessons Learned:
1) We need to have one vacation a year alone. As much as I love visiting, it's tiring and we can't do it every single time we are off anymore. We also have to start setting family patterns for how we will spend vacation.
2) I still really miss my family. I cried for about an hour after we left Kingston, but also kept thinking about what it will be like if Isabelle is in her 20's and that far away. How will it feel?
3) No matter how much stuff you pack, cut it down by one-third. You'll thank yourself.
4) I love travelling with Ben. He is always great company.

3 comments:
I loved reading about your adventures. I'm so impressed that you managed all of that visiting! I find it tiring going to the grocery store with Sophie let alone all the moving around that you three did (but we did absolutely love meeting Belle-what a sweetheart). Our door is always open....
Bear - I have more pictures for you. Tomorrow's project. You know how it is, one thing/day. Mel
Mom and I are greatful that you and Ben came to visit. We know what a sacrifice it is for both of you. We agree with you "lessons learned" but as life moves on you may find it is not always that easy to accomplish. But if you aim at nothing, you will surely hit it.
Love Dad
Post a Comment