Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Walk and Walk and Walk Away

It's back.

About 3 weeks ago I started noticing that I was really tired. I didn't feel like doing things I normally liked, lost interest in food, became unusually irritable and short tempered, didn't want to talk to anyone and just wanted to stay in bed. And then finally a few days ago it dawned on me - my depression is visiting me again. We were introduced almost 10 years ago, and thankfully it's not been around much during the past year.

But this time I'm trying my very hardest not to let it stay, not to invite it in for pizza and a movie and a box of chocolates. This morning when I would have liked to yank the covers over my head, I did my walking video. Exercise seems to be the biggest blues zapper that I have in my weapons cabinet. "Walk away the blues; walk away the stress..." says Leslie Sansone. Often the problem for me is that I can't hold onto the desire to feel better - it's a genuine wrestling match. And if I don't want to feel better than there is nothing motivating me to do anything about it.

So hear this, bleakness and darkest blues, you can't beat me! I can't stand the thought of my daughter saying "What's wrong, Mama? Are you sad again?" I'm going to walk and walk and walk away from you this time. Just try and catch me.

1 comment:

SC said...

we're coming so soon--we'll be walking with you. xo