Monday, November 10, 2008

Up and Down

We've got a place. We've got a moving date. It's been a long month.

I've had the whole range of emotions over the last few weeks, from excitement to terror. The search for a place for us to live just encompassed many of my fears and hopes. With the market being uncertain and not knowing when our house will sell, we felt that renting a place for at least the first year was the right decision for us. But finding a place that was adequate that we could afford was seeming a bit impossible. Last week, on the day that I was the lowest out of this whole process and feeling like our only option was for me to stay here until the house sold, we got a message on our machine saying that the house that we'd pinned all of our hopes on was ours if we wanted it. It was such an awesome answer to prayer that for the first hour I didn't really believe it! We are going to just take the plunge and move together, hoping that somehow we will be able to pay for both places. One of the things we are considering is renting our place out in the New Year.

Our rental house in Grosse Pointe has three bedrooms with a garage and a fenced-in yard. It is walking distance to a playground and the shopping area/grocery store. It two miles from church so good biking distance for Ben. Compared to some of the tiny apartments we looked at, it seems like a mansion.

Now it is time to begin sorting and packing. I plan to be quite ruthless about the amount of stuff that I allow to come with us. This from the woman with 5 strollers in her garage.

This will be a crazy month. Next week I am having a surgical procedure on my heart done (by catheter, not open heart!) to correct a fast heart beat that I have had since my teen years. Both kids are celebrating their birthdays. And I need to shop and plan for Christmas. But what I have found throughout this entire process of discernment and waiting over the past 18 months is that the most important thing is for me to be quiet before the Lord and trust Him. I get so tempted to research and be busy with tasks, and those are not bad things. But my priority, as the title of my blog says, is quietness and trust.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8

2 comments:

SC said...

You are an inspiration Mel---if anyone can do this, it's you. I am excited about visiting and sharing in this next chapter of your life. xo

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying for you all through this process. God is providing each step. My class is memorizing Joshua 1: 7-9, you know, the "be strong and very courageous" parts--always a good reminder! Love, Cathy