April 2009 brought something to look forward to: a trip to Toronto by myself! My sister Joanna graduated from Humber last year and she had an evening in which her class was presenting their final thesis designs. I was overjoyed to be able to come and take part as if I lived close by. Ben graciously watched the kids for 2 days for me to make the trip. I rented a car and laughed out loud when I saw the electric blue PT Cruiser. Not exactly the compact I had envisioned, but oh well. I remember the border guard asking me why my trip was so short, to which I replied that I had left my husband alone with the kids and this was all the time I was given! :)
Jo’s project was beautiful, thoughtful and full of great ideas. It was wonderful to meet her teachers and classmates. It was a fun evening! My older sister Alison and my dad were able to make the trip as well so we stayed together at a downtown hotel. In the morning we went out for breakfast with Jo and visited a few familiar streets on the U of T campus before heading our separate ways.
Having that much time in the car alone, visiting my family whom I was missing desperately and coming off of some stressful months caught up to me at a rest stop near Woodstock. I was parked in the parking lot after fueling up and brought to tears by a new version of “Great is Thy Faithfulness”. That song has never been particularly meaningful to me, but the words set to new music spoke right to my heart. I had a good, good cry and then got back on the road again. I finished the trip thankful for the time away and precious moments with my family. Here are my pictures from the trip set to that song by Fernando Ortega.
April seems to be a good month for these excursions as I am about to depart for Vancouver next week alone. I am attending a pastors’ spouses’ conference for my denomination for 3 days. This is my third event like this that I have attended and I really appreciate these times to connect with other spouses who experience the same joys and trials in ministry as I do.

No comments:
Post a Comment