Monday, January 28, 2008

Every Morning

This week was a difficult one, not because of any once circumstance but a collision of many. Ben was at the Worship Symposium last weekend, which meant he was gone on the two days he is usually home. I also felt sad about missing the Symposium this year and not being able to attend. Charlotte, our perfect baby, was a restless sleeper and poor eater. Isabelle awoke from her nap almost every day with a nightmare after 45 minutes, just when I had gotten Charlotte to sleep. And the uncertainty of the future, which usually only bothers me on days when I haven't had enough sleep, seemed to taunt me like a bully this week.

But even though each day seemed longer, morning always came with encouragement in God's word, a cheerful husband, a warm home and smiles from a toddler and baby.

Lamentations 3:21-25

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.

You are the author of knowledge
You can redeem what's been done
You hold the present and all that's to come

Until your everlasting kingdom

Lord, I don't know where all this is going
Or how it all works out
Lead me to peace that is past understanding
A peace beyond all doubt

You are the God of tomorrow
Turning the darkness to dawn
Lifting the hopeless with hope to go on
You are the rock of all salvation

Lord, I don't know where all this is going
Or how it all works out
Lead me to peace that is past understanding
A peace beyond all doubt

LORD - Newsboys

Even during times when I have felt down this year, I have resisted writing posts about it. I didn't want to seem like I wanted pity, but I have missed some of the healing that comes from writing and reflecting. AND, I was reminded tonight of how encouraged I am by honest writing about others' struggles with childrearing, uncertainty, etc. I have been following several blogs this year of people who have experienced a recent loss of their spouse or child and the posts that I remember the most and draw the most strength from are those in which they express openly their raw emotions, no matter how sad.

3 comments:

Rick Gresik said...

The song is beautiful. I'd like to hear it when I come at Easter. Sounds like something that would go well as a special.

Romans 10:9-10 says, "...we also rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character and character hope." All you need to do is look for the gold nugget in this uncertainty that God will have for you.

Dad

Franceen said...

Hi Melody, I really appreciated your thoughts. Reminds me of how blessed I have been by the poetry of George Herbert. His poem "Affliction" was highlighted this week in the poetry section of the website journeywithjesus.net.

adllto said...

I've been listening/reading your words for a while and thought about our short time together at the Rez. I talked to Ann on the phone recently and remembered we are all survivors. By the grace of God, we were bought for a price and held by a God who will not let us go. I am just as open and honest in my blog.

Tony