The winter of 2009 was a long, snowy winter. It felt as though it began the day we moved from GR to GP. It was a blizzard, which complicated both the packing of our truck and the drive to Detroit. The day was a blur but I remember the hurry in which we left the house to beat the truck to the new location, as well as leaving Ben behind to stuff the van with whatever he could fit. It didn’t feel like a great end or beginning either way. It was more like ripping a band-aid off. You know it’s going to happen and that it needs to happen, but it still stings badly.
That winter I appreciated the empty calendar and minimal responsibilities. The only event that I was required to show up at was church on Sunday morning. The kids and I explored things in the area but our normal ability to foray on foot was hampered by the snow. I dutifully dragged them out in the bike trailer many times but by mid-February I was, as a friend once said, ready to throw all of the winter stuff in a pile, light it on fire and do a happy dance around it. The days were long.
Isabelle began pre-school at our church in March. It was a reward for potty training and also a good social outlet for her. She had been used to being around a lot of kids in GR and she exhibited signs of really missing people she was attached to. She loved school and had no problems with separation.
I remember that we spent a lot of time listening to music and having dance parties in the living room. We went through a long Elton John and Abba phase, with Isabelle requesting “Yellow Brick Road” over and over again. We would go places and she would recognize any Elton John song in muzak. Ha ha. I also remember driving around a lot, both to get to know where places were, and also just for something to do. My favorite stretch is along Jefferson which offers a spectacular view of Lake St. Clair. Even on a day when I felt low, driving along there and seeing the lake always gave me a special lift.
March brought our first visit to the Detroit Zoo. We used Christmas gift money to buy a membership and we went A LOT last year. I’m in the process of making a special photo book for Isabelle with all the zoo photos we’ve taken, but here are some from those initial March/April visits.
Friday, April 09, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Mel, I hadn't realized how *much* I missed your posts until you started writing again. THANK YOU. It really cheers my heart to see you creating and connecting with such intention.
Mel,
That zoo looks amazing!! How far a drive is that from your house? I bet the girls absolutely love it. Loved our chat today. xx
Post a Comment