Saturday, May 27, 2006

Going Home



This is outside the duty free shop in Sarnia - a last stop before we enter the good old U.S.A. As I said in an earlier post, we made an unexpected excursion to Ontario over the Victoria Day weekend to attend and participate in my Uncle Gord's funeral. Uncle Gord was like a grandfather to me, except younger, so in all senses, he was what he was - a great uncle. He was silly and funny, never spoke a cross word, knew what kinds of things kids liked to do, had a fun backyard and lots of Archie comic books in the basement. We took Isabelle to meet Uncle Gord in early March. I cried leaving his house that night, knowing that it would probably be the last time we saw him (he bravely fought cancer for the last several years). He showed Isabelle a stuffed robin, and taught her what it's call was. Now whenever I see a robin, I think of Uncle Gord.

No comments: