Friday, May 05, 2006

Isabelle's Birth: Part III

After more checks to see how I was doing, I was asked to start pushing around 2:15pm. We had a great nurse (Lynn) that helped me through it. This was the most difficult part. Isabelle seemed to be stuck on my bone and so I was pushing for 90 minutes. Close to the end they kept saying, “One more. One more” and after awhile I didn’t believe them! I was starting to feel hopeless like there was no way the baby was going to get out. And then I saw a flurry of activity in the overhead mirror and thought to myself, “Why are they rushing? The baby is NOT coming.” And then I could feel the baby sliding down and out. I couldn’t even watch because I was so exhausted and trying to focus.

3:45pm - “It’s a girl!” they cry in chorus. “Are you sure?” I asked which was followed by laughter. Then they placed our baby girl on my chest and I looked into her bright eyes. She was still and quiet and beautiful. Those first few moments were amazing, and even now I can see that face whenever I look at her.





After all the cleaning and weighing, they wrapped her up and put her back on my chest, and everyone left the room for about an hour. It was wonderful. We just stared at her and listened to her noises, and tried to decide on a name.

After that wonderful time was up, Ben took Isabelle Jane (newly named) to the nursery for her bath. I ordered dinner (my first food since the night before) and was anxiously awaiting Mom and Ali’s arrival. I had macaroni and cheese, chocolate pudding and juice.

Final installment tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pushing for that long... poor you! And poor Ben! And poor little Isabelle. Worth every push in the end though. Thanks for the teary eyes you've left me.

SC said...

What a precious angel. Those pictures are so wonderful. Especially the one where you are smiling and she has a little pout. What an incredible process birth is-truly a miracle. Thanks for sharing your story.